Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I love my job

Not many people can say they love their job. But I can safely say that I am happy to be staying at home with the girls. Today I posted a similar remark on facebook, and within 2 hours, I had 16 replies that included lots of "likes" and comments. And I know that I am especially lucky to be staying at home given the economy! Thats not to say that I love every minute of everyday of staying at home. I will admit, when I was working and looking forward to staying at home I had a very "romantic" view of what life would be like. I imagined a spotless house all the time, laundry folded and put away as soon as it came out of the dryer, and 3 course, relaxed meals every night. On the contrary, sometimes the house is messier, the laundry often piles up, and mac n cheese is served at least once a week! Staying at home is like any other job- it is work! But it is unlike any other job in that I get to see my babies grow a little bit everyday. I feel like I know Gianna so much better and I actually NOTICE Elia go through each stage of development. We do so many things now that we couldn't do when I was working. We go to the park, the library, the duck pond, and now one of my favorites- our backyard. I love to sit on the patio, put Elia in the swing, and watch Gianna swing on her new tire swing or play in the leaves. I often join in, and right now am trying to get G to play a little soccer. Another favorite of mine right now is baking with Gianna. It is sooo messy, but Gianna loves to make cookies, and we all love eating them!






Sometimes money is tight, and Chris and I don't get to do everything we used to (eating out, multiple trips to STL and Napa, etc.) but it is worth it a thousand times over. My mom gave me a book last year called You CAN Afford to Stay at Home with Your Kids, and there is a quote I want to share that sums up the way I feel about it all:

Although it's true that the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that washes the diapers, the same hand also touches- and to a large degree, directs - the lives of the entire family, makes the most indelible mark upon the children, lays the groundwork for a future generation, and thereby effects the course of history.

-Mary Snyder and Malia McCawley Wyckoff


Thanks to my amazing husband Chris, who works so hard for our family so that I can be at home, and thanks to my mom for staying at home with us!!!!

2 comments:

MegL said...

Moe- you hit the nail on the head. I feel that I am only noe fully embracing the sahm thing. It tooke awhile but I'm almost there. I'm aMazed at your appreciation for staying at home.

Gayle said...

You are very lucky, Maureen and so are your girls. They'll remember the time you spend with them.