Monday, May 30, 2011

Minnie Mouse Pinata

My favorite Minnie Mouse thing I did for the party was the pinata. I had a lot of people who were really surprised and impressed that this wasn't store-bought (score for me!:) but really, it was sooooo easy to make!
At first I was going to make something simple, like this, but then Chris suggested we add some ears to make it look like a mouse. Ingenious, I tell you. So first I blew up a regular old balloon and papermached it. I let it dry, and poked 2 holes on the top. I blew up 2 more balloons, and stuck them through the 2 holes. Here is a progress pic for you to get the idea.















So after I attached the ears, I papermached them onto the head. Then I cut out a flap on the bottom and filled it with goodies. Then I poked more holes in one side of the pinata and threaded twine through the holes and tied a washer on to keep it secure to the inside. I made 14 of these washer strings and then duct taped the flap shut. Chris spray painted the whole thing black in case the tissue paper wouldn't cover the really ugly newspaper. After it was all dry, I cut out as many tear drop shaped tissue paper pieces I could- probably about 4 inches long. Then I just started gluing them on going around and around until I got to the top. Then I slapped a pink gift bow on and woolah! The hit of the party!















Helping all the kiddos get a pull string:












All the loot:











The aftermath:


2 comments:

Jenny said...

Moe I LOVE this!!!! So creative. AND you could do so much with it! A monkey, a panda, or any kind of bear really, a bug with antennae. SO CUTE!

Mary Anne said...

The pinata is so neat! I never would have even thought to make one, nor that it could be somewhat easy to do. What a great idea to have the kids pull strings...hmmm - might have to put that idea to use for Jude's b-day in June!