Friday, May 18, 2012

Hello Kitty Pinata

This thing literally took Shanny and I hours to complete.  It was gorgeous!  The cheapest pinata I could find was $19.99.  I figured I could make one for less than that. 

I bought this off amazon for a little over $4.  I could not find this balloon at any party store or Target/Walmart.  All hello kitty mylar balloons were either round or included her body.

This is after 3 layers of paper mache.  I used the ads sent to me in the mail cut up in strips and the paste is just equal parts water and flour.  So this step was free!

Plan A was to actually paint the pinata white and then paint on the features.  Its a long story, but I accidentally ran over the pinata with my car.  Here she is stuffed, duct taped and pull strings strung at the bottom.  White duct tape was $3.

After I popped the balloon I kept it so I could trace where to put the nose eyes and bow.  I started with the pink bow.

I ended up using 5 packs of tissue paper, which cost around $7 total.

Chris had to pose as Hello Kitty of course!
So all in all, it cost me $14 to make this pinata!  Not bad!  That doesn't include stuffing it though- I probably spent another $10 on little trinkets and candy.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Wow!! That pinata looks great!!