Thursday, February 2, 2012

I have to savor this moment, however fleeting it may be.

Yesterday was rough.  After I picked the girls up from daycare we had to go to the grocery store.  Since I only needed 2 things, I told the girls we were just going to walk through the store and that we didn't need a cart.  For some reason, this set Elia off and she started fussing and whining very loudly that we needed a cart, and I threatened time out to her.  She continued to fuss, so I put her in time out, in the store.  As soon as I put her in time out, she started one of those awful toddler tantrums that you hope your child will never have in public.  It was awful- she threw herself on the floor, kicking and screaming.  So I just picked her up and took her straight to the car and straight home.  After she was settled down she was fine, but I was not about to go back into that store.
At dinner, I literally had to force feed her pizza becasue she didn't want to eat.  Seriously, who in their life has ever force fed a child pizza?  So that was a battle tha I barely won.  Then, I took the girls to the library for the evening storytime at our library.  It is such a great program- they do songs and lots of books and even a craft.  We look forward to it every week since we used to go during the week when I was home with them.  I warned Elia with threats of time out, going home, etc. to be a good girl while we were there.  Which she was, until it was time to go.  I was checking out books and I asked her to sit on the floor and look at her books while I checked out.  She started screaming the floor is too dirty mama!  And you know that even a speaking voice at the library is heard all over, and she was screaming so it was even worse.  I pleaded with Gianna to help her sister read her book quietly.  Elia quieted down immediately and so I finished checking out in peace.  When I finished I found them like this:





All of my anger and exhaustion melted away at that minute.  How sweet is that?  Fleeting though- we had another battle this very moring about washing her hands.  I think this might be the terrible twos!

1 comment:

the Speiers said...

Aw...it's those little moments that remind you why you're fighting the good fight!