Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Columbus Day...the perfect day off.

What happened to it? Did anyone realize that yesterday used to be a standard day off? Well some Texas schools (cfbisd) called it Fair Day and gave it to their kids. Fine and Dandy but do the kids realize that we're celebrating the day that Columbus discovered America? DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHO HE IS ANYMORE?!? I don't care if he did anything objectionable....we still love Thomas Jefferson and he had slaves and bastard children with them! okay okay....enough of that.

So Moe had the day off and I decided we needed a three day weekend as a family. The weekend was phenomenal. Saturday was the annual University of Dallas Rugby Football Club Alumni Game. And we kicked their butts. I scored more times than their whole team. It doesn't help that as a coach I know their weaknesses, but as much as I was on the field I was still trying to coach them while they were trying to tackle me....Yes I was telling them to get lower as I ran them over...it was funny. As captain of the victorious team I get to hold the Macnab Shield for the next year...it's UD's stanley cup if you will, and I also got Man of the Match (MVP). IT helps that even though I am coaching I still run all the drills and run with the team so my fitness level was up there. I think the final score was like 45-5 (in rugby it's 5 points for a try(touchdown) and 2 points for the conversion (kick), we didn't make many kicks but I think almost all of the alumni tried which made the festivities even more fun.

Sunday we went to another furniture store...this time it was Ikea...and again G went nuts.. she really enjoyed the ikea rooms. In the kids section they have a bunch of different room set ups (some really good ideas) but they have little hidden archways/tunnels going from room to room which was a blast. IKEA Is nuts...we were there at opening at 10 am and if we got there any later it would have been useless to go at all. We were still there for a good 2 hours or so which really wore her out.

Monday was the best day of the weekend. Since I didn't figure out if I was going to take it off too far ahead I "called it in" my super D. Love was totally cool with it. SO we got to the zoo at opening and the line was packed with kids. I guess there was a good contingent of schools who had "Fair Day"...I guess the Texas State Fair is Bigger than Columbus...I bet more kids can tell you who won the Red River Shootout than what year Columbus discovered America... I digress.

There were some awesome exhibits. The primate exhibits at The Ft Worth Zoo are phenomenal. They had a toddler Chimp in the indoor exhibit that was so exciting. G stood at the window watching him play with his mom and the ladies for a good 20 mins. They also had 4 baby/toddler lion cubs, and some young giraffes. They were adorable, i could have stayed there all morning watching the lions and primates alone. We got some awesome pics I'll put them on flickr soon, they're on facebook. We brought g's animals and she loved trying to give the animals to the real ones. we almost lost a couple of them but I've got some quick hands...OF all the animals the one she loved the most was .....wait for it...
a horse. Yes...that's right. We had lions, gorillas, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes and birds ( and she loves birds) but she went CRAZY over the horse. She wouldn't stop saying "ORSE" and "NAY". When we told her that some of the animals we're sleeping, like the coyote, she would say "goodnight" and waive, I think she knows when she's being too cute...
I wish i didn't have to work today and we could go do something else really fun like yesterday.. it was the best day off in a long time. I would have to say it was even better than visiting family or going anywhere...it was perfect.

No comments: